Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Mixed Expectations

If there is anything that I have learned about taking tests, it is that just because it seems easy/difficult at the time does not guarantee an automatic pass/fail. In fact, in a lot of cases, I have found that the more trouble I have on a test, the better I do, gradewise.

Take the ACT: hardest, longest test of my life, yet I got a 33 (still amazed by that).

Another example: the placement test for UCO. Nearly reduced me to tears and yet I was placed in the superior level.

I offer this proof to set up the scene for my story. Picture it: three tests last week, one test earlier today. For all three tests last week, I was sure that I had done horribly.

For my Phonetique, I ran out of time and completely forgot to finish one part of the test.

For Langue, I had the perfect answer to the essay question--but did not think of it until I had already turned in the test and was halfway home.

For Grammaire, I spent five hours studying concepts that turned out not to be on the test and thus did not have the time to study two sections that were.

With the information that I have given you regarding my experiences with tests, you can guess what happened for all three. That's right--I passed, easily.

And then there is Traduction, which I finished not two hours ago. This test I studied for almost nonstop. This test I practically breezed through. This test was rather straightforward and almost easy.

I'm worried.

No comments:

Post a Comment