Friday, March 6, 2009

The French Captain Nemo's

If you know anything at all about my family, you know that pretty much all of us are completely, irrevocably and irreversibly addicted to the subs at Captain Nemo's, a restaurant right in the middle of Romulus. My older sister worked there for several years, and I therefore blame her for the downfall of our entire family. But still, who can blame us? Who can say no to a piping hot steak-and-cheese sub with lettuce, tomatoes and the special Capain Nemo's spice and oil combination? I'm drooling just thinking about it!

But anyway, the sole reason behind this post is that I have found it: the French equivalent (or as close as I'm going to get) to a Captain Nemo's, and all right here in my little town! It is called "Grinotine", and it can't even really be called a restaurant. There are no places to sit, or put your food down to eat. In fact, the closest thing that I can compare it to is a concessions stand at a sports game. But the food more than makes up for its lack of sophistication. For a mere 3.50 euros, it is possible to get an entire meal, including a warm sandwich/panini, a beverage, and a pain au chocolat for dessert.

One bite. One measly little bite was all it took for me to fall in love with this little uncouth stand. The pizza sub that I had was absolutely delicious, not to mention filling! I was able to save my pain au chocolat for the walk home. Even slightly smushed (I had it in my purse for a few hours), that morsel was the highlight of my walk home.

Sigh. Can it get any better than this?

1 comment: