Sunday, March 8, 2009

Good News, Bad News

Someone (I can't remember who) once said to me that the true test of someone's commitment to attending church was whether or not they would go during bad weather, such as a thunderstorm, hurrican, tornado, blizzard...you get the idea. Well, I would like to modify this statement just a little bit; the true test isn't whether you would actually go during bad weather, but whether you would walk in said weather to attend church.

I would have to say that I have passed this test.

The weather in Angers lately has been nothing short of beautiful; my winter coat is officially in the closet along with my heavy scarf. That being said, you'll find it no surprise that when I left the house this morning at 9:20 for my customary walk to church, I was wearing nothing but my leather jacket and some light gloves. I suppose that the wet ground should have been an indication for me to grab my umbrella, but in my defense...okay, I should have grabbed an umbrella. I had not reached the end of my street when it started to rain.

The Good News: I wasn't a heavy rain, barely a drizzle.

The Bad News: After a half hour walk, even a drizzle will take its toll.

That's right. Thirty minutes with nothing but occasional trees to shield me from the rain. Needless to say, I was absolutely soaked when I walked into the church; I left a sizable puddle in the entrance way, and more than one person shot me curious glances about the state of my appearance (have I mentioned I look like a drowned rat when wet?).

The Good News: The two hours of church was just enough time for me to dry completely

The Bad News: I had to walk back home in weather that was even worse than before (can you say downpour?).

And that is not quite the end of my day. After lunch I had a meeting with my partner in my Langauge class; we have a presentation on Tuesday, and we were planning on fine-tuning our information to prepare. The place where we were meeting is called the Jardin du Mail, and its--you guessed it--about a half hour walk from my house. Why is it that everything takes half an hour?

The Good News: I remembered my umbrella.

The Bad News (?): It stopped raining.

Ok, maybe that is not all bad, but the rain was replaced by strong winds. When I finally got to the meeting place, Bo Kyoung was nowhere to be seen. So naturally, I checked my cell phone.

The Good News: She had called me.

The Bad News: She did not leave a message.

The Worse News: My cell phone was all out of minutes, so I could not call her back.

So instead, I waited. Two hours later, I was still waiting. She never showed. Which means that we have to figure something else out before Tuesday rolls around. Sigh. I hate when things go wrong, don't you?

2 comments:

  1. Oh Jenn! Forgive me for laughing at this post, even though your day was so...contrary. I love the way you formatted this post, though. Pure genius!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks; I rather like it too. I'm considering doing a sequel about today, since it hasn't been all that hot either.

    ReplyDelete