Sunday, February 15, 2009

Chateau D'Angers

I notice that several of the other blogs that I follow have posted posts about Valentine's Day. At the risk of seeming like I am copying, I have decided to do the same. In fact, that was my original intention even before I saw the other posts.

So...February 14th. Even though it is the supposed to be the day of love, I do not have a boyfriend and have not even been on a date or been interested in anyone at all. At this point in my life, that's the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it (sorry, I couldn't help myself). I therefore decided to spend yesterday touring the Chateau D'Angers, which is one of the major sites in Angers.

As with everything, I had to walk to the chateau. On the way, I found myself in the middle of a street market that resembled a Farmer's Market. There were booths all around with everything from produce to clothing. I spent quite a bit of time just walking around looking at all of the different booths. In fact, I ended up buying a chocolat pain, which became my lunch (it was more filling than I expected it to be).

I ate my lunch on the way to the chateau, and then paid the five euros to tour the inside. Touring that place is honestly one of the most fascinating things that I have done thus far. It was absolutely beautiful. Parts of the chateau resembled ruins and others were renovated at a later date. The gardens were also absolutely amazing--healthy, colorful and well-kept. The bottom line is that the chateau was a delightful mix of the old and new.

My favorite part of the chateau was climbing up onto the remains of the highest tower. Made entirely of bricks, it used to be a moulin. There were winding stairs made of wood that went all the way to the top of the moulin. Standing at the top enabled me to see the city for miles in every direction.

So instead of romance for Valentine's Day, I toured an old castle. Crazy as it may seem to some, it was more than a fair trade in my opinion!

1 comment:

  1. Okay, that does sound amazing, Jenn! And I love the pic...especially the part where your shadow is creeping in near the bottom.

    ReplyDelete