Monday, February 2, 2009

Settling In

So today was my first full day in Angers, France. I slept in later than I wanted and didn't actually get up until about 10. After getting completely ready, I set off to see the one place that I knew that I needed to get acquainted with: the university. It is about a fifteen to twenty minute walk from where I live right now. Unfortunately, the weather was not as nice as it was yesterday; the wind was rather brisk and the weatherman predicted snow and ice. Of course, we didn't actually get any, but it was still not the best conditions to walk in.

Even so, I enjoyed my journey. The route to the university was rather straightforward, which I was thankful for. I wish that I had taken pictures, but I honestly didn't want to take my hands out of pockets very often. Along the way there were beautiful tree-lined sidewalks and a little shopping center complete with a flower market.

When I actually got to the university, I tried to find the place where I need to meet on Wednesday for my placement test; I think that I found it, but I won't know for sure until Wednesday, I guess. I also met another exchange student from Pennsylvania. Her name was Katie and we ended up eating lunch together at a little shop in UCO, not unlike the C3 from GVSU. Even better, we were able to talk a lot (mainly in English) about our experiences so far. It was rather nice to exchange stories, however brief, about problems that we have encountered and worries that we had (or still have).

I stayed at UCO for several hours, just touring the campus. I spent quite a bit of time in the library--it was huge. It also had everything that I could possible need, including some books in English if I am so inclined.

On the way back from the university, I stopped by a few stores and bought a toothbrush (since I forgot mine) and some bottled water (see, Sean?) and some spreadable cheese. All that I'm missing now is the bread! :) At any rate, I figured these few basics would come in handy for small meals or even snacks if I want.

The afternoon was rather quiet; I relaxed in my room spending time on my computer and reading a little bit (The Count of Monte Cristo by ALexandre Dumas, gotta love it!). For dinner, I ate with the family again--Madame, her son and his girlfriend. We had crepes with mushrooms and ham, and they were absolutely delicious! For dessert, we used leftover crepes and spread jam on them--again, delicious. I gotta say that I was relieved. I was dreading that I wouldn't really like the food, but now I know that at least certain meals are enjoyable. I'm rather eager to try it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment