Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Not Another One!

So yesterday was the day where we were supposed to receive the results of our placement tests that we took last week. All of the results were posted in the hall Bazin in alphabetical order. Once we found our name, it was a simple matter of looking to see which language course we were given. The scores started from the early hundreds and climbed all the way up to the three hundreds. Of course, the higher the number, the more difficult the course.

When I actually got to the hall after my customary twenty-minute walk to school, the hall was already filled with people trying to see their scores. Now, I would say that I am about average height, but I actually towered over the majority of the people scrambling around the lists. Therefore, I was able to see my name quite easily.

But my name did not have the customary and oh-so-simple number next to it. Rather, it had letters. For one wild moment; I was sure they read SUCK. A second glance (thankfully) relieved me of this impression, as the letters spelled SUP, which of course isn't really a word at all. Near the list however was a schedule for the day with the heading "Niveau Superieur".

I had scored the highest level possible on the placement test.

My reward? I had to take another test, this time a written exam, so that they could find out for sure which language class I needed to be placed in, the results of which would be posted the next morning. Sigh.

This exam lasted just as long as the previous one, but the afternoon held various possibilities. We were given a schedule of courses that we could 'try out' if we chose. In other words, of the courses listed, we could attend a class where the professor would explain the objectives of the course, the method for teaching, etc. We would then be able to decide whether or not this course appealed to us for our schedule. In all, I went to three classes yesterday: Histoire de l'Art, Litterature, and Histoire de la Musique. Of the three, the only one that I liked was (surprisingly) Histoire de l'Art. Fortunately, though, I still have a week to decide for sure which classes that I want to take.

So this morning I also found out my score for the test that I took yesterday. I have placed in cours 333, which is right around the middle of the superieur level. Our entire schedule depends on which language course we take, as different levels have courses at different times. We are allowed to take between 18 and 21 credit hours, but the language courses take up six credits. I received a full schedule of classes and their times and I have until next Monday to decide for sure which courses I will end up taking.

1 comment:

  1. I still say that you are awesome for scoring that high, but I feel for you for having to take another test. Let me know what your schedule is when you figure it out.

    ReplyDelete